In a July 21 article on HootSuite, several interesting statistics came up regarding the Instagram user demographic. Their data comes from the 2015 Pew Research study of U.S. residents. With 1/2 billion users Instagram represents one of the fastest growing social media sites. Where else can you reach that many eyes to engage with your post?
Let’s break down the data a bit more:
- 59% of users use Instagram every day
- 35% of users use the site several times each day
- 55% of users are between 18 and 29 years old. (Seems like a good place for the powersports market, don’t you think?)
- 28% are between 30 and 49 years old. (Another great demo for the powersports user.)
- 30% of the users earn $50,000-$74,999 annually (Users with the means to purchase powersports products.)
- 26% of the users earn more than $75,000
Why is this important to you in the powersports dealer? Our sport is very visual and full of emotion, both perfect to share on Instagram. The very visual nature of photos and video cause you to stop and engage hopefully leading to a call to action to visit your website or dealership.
This is where you can get creative; images don’t need to be professionally shot, all smartphones now deliver high enough resolution. Just make sure they are lit well and tell a story of why your dealership is different. Share special events and the people that make your dealership unique. Don’t forget to include your store location and #hashtag accordingly.
This is all great information and should cause you to think about making the leap into Instagram. They’ve made it easier to sign-up for a business account (HERE), and we’ll go into more detail on what to post in a future article.
As always the ideas expressed above are my own, and I make no claims to the success or failure of implementing them. They are suggestions to make you think. Please vet all ideas against your business plan before implementing them.